United States

U.S. Official Tells TIB that Iran Talks Still Possible After Geneva, but Major Gaps Remain

In a statement to This is Beirut, a U.S. senior official stated that there is still a diplomatic path with Iran after Tuesday’s dialogue in Geneva, but many key points on the nuclear issue remain unresolved. The official stated that “today’s Geneva talks showed that a diplomatic path still exists, but it will move forward only ...

Iran's Khamenei Warns U.S. Warship in Gulf Can Be Sunk

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned Tuesday that a U.S. warship deployed to the Gulf could be sunk, as renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington got underway in Geneva. “We constantly hear that they have sent a warship toward Iran. A warship is certainly a dangerous weapon, but even more dangerous is ...

Iran Says U.S. Stance on Nuclear Issue 'More Realistic'

Iran said Monday that the US position on Tehran's nuclear programme "has moved towards a more realistic one" ahead of a second round of talks. "A cautious assessment is that, from the discussions that have taken place in Muscat to date, at least what we have been told is that the US position on the Iranian nuclear issue has ...

German President Urges Swift Hezbollah Disarmament

German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier on Monday called for the “swift” disarmament of Hezbollah, stressing during talks with President Joseph Aoun that restoring full state authority in Lebanon is essential for long-term stability. In his remarks following their meeting, Steinmeier said Israeli forces must also withdraw from ...

Rubio: U.S. Satisfied With Overall 'Trajectory' in Syria

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Sunday that Washington is pleased with the "trajectory" in Syria, which has launched talks with Kurdish minority groups, despite troubles. "There's been some days that have been very concerning, but we like the trajectory," Rubio said on a brief visit to Bratislava. "We have to keep it on that trajectory. ...

U.S. Military Says Struck More Than 30 IS Targets in Syria

The U.S. military said Saturday that its forces had struck more than 30 Islamic State group targets in Syria this month, maintaining pressure on the jihadists after a deadly attack on US troops last year. The strikes also came as the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) in recent weeks transferred thousands of IS detainees from Syria to Iraq, ...

U.S., Syrian Top Diplomats Meet at Munich Conference

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio met with his Syrian counterpart Asaad al-Shaibani on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Friday and they discussed Damascus's recent agreement with the Kurds. A post by the Syrian foreign ministry included pictures showing that the head of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, Mazloum ...

U.S. Completes Transfer of IS Detainees From Syria to Iraq: CENTCOM

The United States Central Command said on Friday it had completed the transfer of thousands of detained Islamic State group suspects held in Syria to Iraq. The detainees had been held in Syria for years in camps overseen by Kurdish-led forces, but the recapture of surrounding territory by Damascus prompted Washington to step in. CENTCOM said it ...

Iran Announces Enquiry Team to Investigate Deadly Protests

The Iranian government announced on Friday the establishment of a commission of enquiry to look into protests against the high cost of living that turned into anti-government rallies that left thousands dead. "A fact-finding committee has been formed with representatives from relevant institutions and is collecting documents and hearing ...

White House Official to TIB: ‘Redeployment of U.S. Troops From Al-Tanf…Following a Comprehensive Operational Reassessment’

In an exclusive statement given to This is Beirut, a senior official in the White House elaborated on their transfer of troops from al-Tanf in Syria to Jordan. The official said, “the redeployment of U.S. troops from the al-Tanf position in Syria to Jordan was carried out following a comprehensive operational ...

U.S. Covertly Delivers Starlink Devices Into Iran as Regime Escalates Arrests

The U.S. purchased and smuggled over 6,000 Starlink satellite internet devices into Iran, U.S. officials revealed on Thursday, as the regime ramps up its repression against opposition figures. The devices were sent with the goal of providing anti-regime activists alternative ways to connect to the internet, despite the fact that Starlink ...

Iran Fortifies Natanz Nuclear Site as U.S. Weighs Expanded Military Posture

Despite both the U.S. and Iran stating their preference for diplomacy over escalation, both sides are preparing for the possibility of violent escalation. Iran has reportedly been rapidly fortifying their underground mountain complex at the Natanz nuclear site as seen in satellite imagery, according to the Jerusalem Post. According to the ...